We are using cookies to implement functions like login, shopping cart or language selection for this website. Furthermore we use Google Analytics to create anonymized statistical reports of the usage which creates Cookies too. You will find more information in our privacy policy.
OK, I agree I do not want Google Analytics-Cookies
Quintessence International
Login:
username:

password:

Plattform:

Forgotten password?

Registration

Quintessence Int 38 (2007), No. 6     30. May 2007
Quintessence Int 38 (2007), No. 6  (30.05.2007)

Online Article, Page 526, PubMed:17625617


Online Article: Findings from panoramic radiographs of the edentulous population and review of the literature
Masood, Farah / Robinson, William / Beavers, Kay S. / Haney, Kevin L.
Objective: The purpose of this study was to evaluate the frequency of positive radiographic findings in panoramic radiographs of edentulous arches. Method: A sample of 327 panoramic radiographs was selected from the patient pool at the University of Oklahoma College of Dentistry. Radiographs were evaluated for presence of retained root tips, impacted teeth, radiolucent and radiopaque areas, soft tissue calcifications, and foreign bodies.
Results: Approximately 57.5% of panoramic radiographs revealed no positive radio-graphic findings, while the remaining 42.5% contained 1 or more positive radiographic findings. Thirty-nine root fragments were identified, and the majority were located in the maxilla. However, only 5 pathological findings (3.8%) required treatment modification before denture fabrication.
Conclusions: Results of the study do not support routine pretreatment panoramic radiography on patients seeking denture fabrication. Panoramic radiography is a valuable diagnostic tool in the pretreatment assessment of partially and completely edentulous patients, but their routine use in such patients should be discouraged.

Keywords: dental, edentulous, edentulous patients, panoramic, positive radiographic findings, radiology