We are using cookies to implement functions like login, shopping cart or language selection for this website. Furthermore we use Google Analytics to create anonymized statistical reports of the usage which creates Cookies too. You will find more information in our privacy policy.
OK, I agree I do not want Google Analytics-Cookies
Quintessence International



Forgotten password?


Quintessence Int 42 (2011), No. 10     29. Sep. 2011
Quintessence Int 42 (2011), No. 10  (29.09.2011)

Page 879-882, PubMed:22026002

Pleomorphic adenoma-Unusual presentation of a salivary gland tumor in the neck of a child
Arunkumar, K. V. / Kumar, Sanjeev / Bansal, Vishal / Saxena, Susmita / Elhence, Poonam
Ectopic salivary gland tumors are rare in children. When salivary gland tumors do develop, they preferentially affect major salivary glands and then minor salivary glands. Pleomorphic adenoma, also referred to as a benign mixed tumor, is the most common tumor of the salivary glands. Approximately 90% of these tumors occur in the parotid gland, while the remaining 10% affect the minor salivary glands. However, it is uncommon to find them elsewhere in the head and neck region. We report a rare case of pleomorphic adenoma in the upper neck, an unusual site in an 8-year-old boy.

Keywords: cheek, ectopic mixed salivary gland tumors, heterotopic salivary gland tissue, palate, pleomorphic adenoma